It is every parents’ goal to take care of their children and provide them with the best. One of those tasks include being responsible for their overall health. A great way to make sure that your kids are keeping themselves healthy is to practice good oral hygiene.
- Be a Role Model and Teacher: The best way to teach your children the proper way to brush and floss their teeth is to show them. Kids love to imitate those around them, so by simply keeping up with your own dental routine, you are increasing the chances that they will follow along.
- Make Routine Dental Appointments: While it can be difficult to fit into a busy schedule, it is very important to make routine dental appointments for your children and stick to them. By keeping appointments at the dentist regular, twice a year, you are making it a normal activity for your children.
- Provide Healthy Foods: Avoiding sugary drinks and foods can help to maintain your kids’ oral health. Surround your kids with healthy foods, and remind them to brush their teeth after enjoying a sugary treat.
- Brush and Floss: It is important that you teach your children, and remind them, to brush their teeth twice a day and floss at least once a day. Setting a timer at 2 minutes will teach them the proper time that they should be spending brushing. There are even apps that you can download that make teeth-brushing fun for your children.
- Offer Rewards: A great way to get your kids interested in brushing their teeth is to offer rewards. Start by taking them to the store and letting them pick out their own toothbrush. Next, create a goal chart or way to track their brushing and offer a small reward after a certain amount of time.
Providing consistency and guidance, and making teeth-brushing fun is the best way to make sure that your children establish healthy habits with their oral health.
How do you make sure that your kids are keeping their teeth healthy? Share your tips with us in the comments below!